Kent Connects – Kent County Council
Secure portal for local government information-sharing partnership
Netsight reviewed the existing portal sites and worked closely with stakeholders in recommending and implementing a new portal content type, a single configuration for all portals to increase the efficiency of platform administration, more fine-grained access control based on workgroups and workflow management, and an improved subscriptions system. After making these changes in 2008, Netsight continued to work closely with the Kent Connects project team as the number of portals and the range of content shared grew steadily. Over the next years, Netsight continued to host the site in its data centre and to provide on-going support.
During 2014 Netsight again worked closely with the Kent Connects project team on a major upgrade. Responding to a detailed specification of requirements, Netsight planned and delivered a range of enhancements that include: strengthened security to satisfy IL2 requirements (compliance with ISO 27001 standards); refined usability (responsive design templates, automatically adapting to various screen sizes on computers and mobile devices); more powerful search and ‘Activity Stream’ filters (highlighting most relevant content, based on workgroup context and user preferences); streamlined administration (simplified processes for managing user accounts); more useful ‘Help’ resources; browser-independent bookmarking (so that users can keep track of key information across various devices). As part of this upgrade work, Netsight managed large-scale migrations of portal content securely, accurately and transparently to end-users, ensuring (via carefully planned 301 redirects) that upon re-launch the experience of using the upgraded platform was as smooth and easy and rewarding as possible. Following the upgrade, Netsight again worked closely with the Kent Connects project team to monitor and to tweak platform performance to support more intensive usage.
Netsight provides dedicated managed hosting and ongoing maintenance and 24/7 support for the live and staging Kent Connects portals, hosted within its ISO 27001 certified data centre.
TechnologiesPlone, intraCORE, Python, MySQL, responsive design, Apache, HAProxy, Varnish
More case studies
- Alder King: Intranet for commercial property agency and consultancy
- Belron: Intranets for multinational company sharing business-critical information
- Birkbeck, University of London: Internal management system and website
- Brightside: Secure ementoring and white-label projects platform for education charity
- CounterpartyLink: B2B online application providing legal entity data to institutions worldwide
- Kent County Council: Secure portal for local government information-sharing partnership
- Marine Stewardship Council: Data-rich websites for international ecolabel organisation
- NHS HSCIC: Unifying intranet for a large and diverse public body
- Vitae : Online community supporting career development for UK researchers